
They took an online cooking class with Mixing Bowl Academy and they had so much fun! Mixing Bowl Academy offers online cooking classes that are taught by a homeschool mother, Sandie, and her children. The classes are live from Sandies kitchen to yours. Each week registered students meet online and cook along with Sandie and her children. This past week the kids all made Strawberry Smoothies for their class. Ten minutes prior to class time you log into the link that is emailed to you and the kids are able to introduce themselves to one another and say where they are tuning in from. Once the class begins, Sandie walks the students step by step through the class as one of her children demonstrates. You can ask questions during the class via chat. Once you are registered for a class you will receive a inventory list of the ingredients and appliances that you will need to have on hand for class day so that you can have them sitting out and ready prior to class time starting.

Our Smoothie ingredients sitting out and ready.
One of the things that I appreciated about our experience with the class was that my children needed to listen, pay attention, and follow directions in order to make their smoothies. I think it is good for them to have various opportunities to listen and follow the directions of others, besides me. That is definitely a benefit that I see in taking a class like this. I love the convenience of having the class online so that we didn't even have to leave our home to do the class. These classes would also be a wonderful option for those moms who do not enjoy cooking themselves. My younger kiddos really enjoyed being able to have a "cooking class" for school time that was all their own.




Mixing Bowl Academy offers cooking classes for Little Chefs which are geared towards young ones and the beginners. This class is slow paced and recipes are easy to follow. Parents are required to be the students assistant as they will need you there for help as well as encouragement. Consider this class an introduction to the kitchen. Our smoothie class was a Little Chef class. Little Chefs classes cost $20.00 for the month (4 classes). That's a good deal, especially for larger families who have multiple children. There are also "Bundles" of classes that are offered which give you extra savings. Sandie is always available and easy to reach for any questions that you might have prior or during the class. To view the upcoming monthly menus for the Little Chefs classes, visit HERE.
Mixing Bowl Academy also offers Jr. Chef classes geared for ages 8 and up. The classes are held on Thursdays at 3pm central time. These classes take a bit longer than the Little Chef classes as the dishes prepared in the Jr. Chef classes are a bit more in depth than the younger class. To view the upcoming monthly menu for the Jr. Chef classes visit HERE. Jr. Chef classes cost $30.00 for the month (4 classes) and the whole family can participate! While much of the prep work will be more for ages 8+, there is no reason the younger ones can't help in this class if you desire for them too. Sandie shares as much information as possible on the health benefits of certain items in each recipe.
During classes, Sandie does offer alternatives and substitutes for items that can be interchangeable for those who are following a gluten-free or dairy-free diet.
To purchase classes visit, HERE. Mixing Bowl Academy also offers pre-recorded classes at that link that you can purchase to watch and do with your children. The pre-recorded classes would be ideal if you can not make the time of the live classes. You can just watch and follow along at your convenience.
Thank you to my friend Ami and to Sandie from Mixing Bowl Academy for the opportunity to take this class and review it. Our older kids will be taking one of the Jr. Chef classes this week so check back in soon to read our review and learn more about it.
3 comments:
Hi Jennifer,
I'm visiting from the TOS blog walk. I've really enjoyed your blog. I could spend hours here (if my 8 year old wasn't trying to get to PBSkids.com, lol). I was very interested to hear about mixing bowl acadamey, I'm going to have to check into it one day when I have more time. My kids love to cook with me, and I love having them in the kitchen (most of the time).
This was a great idea!!! Oooo! I am so interested in this idea. I'm trying to keep things interesting in the kitchen for the kiddos all the time and boy, do I need help with ideas! I'm glad you posted this.
Have a wonderful day.
Just reading through and looking at your pictures makes me want to run to the kitchen and make a strawberry smoothie! :) I'm glad your kiddos had fun!
Ami :)
www.walkingbytheway.com
Post a Comment