Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Ukrainian Christmas

Bryans dads wife is from the Ukraine. She came to live here in America when they married about 7 years ago. In the Ukraine, Christmas day is celebrated on January 6th. So last night we went over to Papa Unsell and Halynas house for a Ukrainian Christmas celebration with them. They celebrate on December 25th and on January 6th as well. The dinner that Halyna prepared was a mixture of American and traditional Ukrainian dishes. It was really fun to taste and learn about some of the Ukrainian dishes. We have been hearing about Borscht soup for a long time now and finally got to try some. I was pleasantly surprised. Borscht soup is made from beets and I do not like beets so I was not expecting to like the soup but to my surprise the soup did not have a strong beet taste. It was actually very delicious! Halyna also made cabbage rolls which is another traditional Ukrainian dish. They reminded me a bit of Chinese Egg Rolls but not fried/hard on the outside and with rice, carrots, and cabbage on the inside. She had a couple of other traditional dishes.

We learned that on Christmas Eve no milk or meat is consumed, but on Christmas Day you can eat anything and a traditional Ukrainian Christmas dinner consists of 12 dishes. The dishes are not all served at the same time but in segments and you always start with the soup.

Here are a few pictures that I took from our evening with Papa Unsell and Halyna.


Our two oldest- Houston (13) and Emmy (12)


Natalie (8) and Annie (10)


Ally (7) and Camden (4)








Emmy trying Borscht soup for the first time. She liked it too!


Natalie doing a Christmas dance for us.












With Papa and Halyna.


Houston is almost as tall as his Papa Unsell. They have a bet going and if Houston grows taller than his Papa he wins money. I'm thinking Papa Unsell is going to be poor in the near future. What do you think? ;-)

5 comments:

My Blessings From Above said...

What a fun day Jen! Trying new foods and learning new traditions!

Stacie said...

I know a lady who celebrated Christmas on Jan. 6th too. I think its a great idea to see how other cultures celebrate the birth of Christ. What fun!

Very nice pics of your family by the way!

Tina said...

How interesting and educational!

the Mcclanahan 7 said...

How fun, I love to try new foods.

Linda said...

I love beets! Fresh beets that is, not canned. :) Oh, actually, I like canned beets too. LOL

Loved the Ukrainian celebration. Mark's grandparents followed the Russian Orthodox calendar, he didn't remember Christmas in Jan. but he did remember Easter being on a different day and getting to celebrate it twice. :)

Just a few more months! :D I'm so excited. As the time gets nearer, shoot me an email or call and we can talk logistics.